Friday, March 6, 2015

Winter Dangers ???

Why are we most often sick in winter over summer?

Proximity:

 In the summer we aren't stuck indoors because of weather. In fact, pleasant weather brings us outdoors. This lack of clustering people keeps germs away rather than recirculating them around the home or building.
Unless you live in an area that does year round schooling summer is also the time when children aren't around each other, sharing whatever virus or bacteria is available. Trust me, having a toddler in preschool has reminded me once again that children can be a joy but are also often walking germ machines.

Handwashing: It's hard to remember to wash your hands at odd times. As an example, I can remember to wash my hands before and during meal preparation but I don't always remember to do so when I come in from the supermarket. That is just as likely to make us ill as unwashed hands while cooking.
I do use hand sanitizer gel under specific conditions. Right now I have a communicable illness; bacterial pneumonia. After I cough, sneeze or blow my nose I use some of the gel. If it didn't happen so darn often I'd just wash my hands, but I like my skin. *Note: If you use hand sanitizer gel make sure it is 60% or more alcohol.
Dishwasher: Most of our dishes are clean when they go into the dishwasher. If that's all we wanted we wouldn't have to use it. However, the dishwasher uses water much hotter than the human hand can withstand. This sanitizes them.
Outdoor Dangers
Cold: There's cold and there is dangerous cold. Being underdressed for the weather or caught outdoors without proper gear can kill. Listen to the weather reports. Usually the weathercaster will say something if it's going to be dangerously cold.
Ice: Ice can be pretty. Ice skating can be fun. Ice on the roads or pathways can be deadly. My grandparents next door neighbor died from a head injury due to slipping on ice.
I have a better illustration because it involves kids, sledding and someone who nearly died.
It was President's Day and our youth pastor took the Jr. and Sr. high kids "up to the snow" for sledding. They created a great run but it had a dangerous curve. If one didn't hit it just right there was a tree that would end the ride.
Another child joined in and though our kids tried to warn him he didn't pay attention. He slid head first into the tree.
Interestingly enough the only person there with any first aid skills was our daughter. She swiftly stripped off her coat and sweatshirt to cover the boy who was, by that time, having seizures. Some of the other kids did the same.
The youth pastor went to call for help, and once that arrived our daughter took the kids down to a pasture where the medivac chopper could land. While we aren't certain, we think the boy survived.
Heart Attacks: Shoveling snow and/or ice is hard, heavy work. Every year a number of people don't survive the attempt. It isn't the cold, it's the shoveling. If you are over 50 and/or have medical problems, please hire someone to do the work.
Winter can be a lot of fun and very dangerous. Find out the problems in your area so you can enjoy it

No comments:

Post a Comment